pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Feature request for Pan Beta

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Feature request for Pan Beta
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:34:45 +0000 (UTC)

Brad Sims <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 28 Jun
2006 20:56:38 -0500:

> Another feature I would like is printing articles, I don't see them
> in the beta, but then I built it without Gnome,
>
> Now If it could print jpg/png attatchments that would be even better <g>

I believe Charles' reaction, certainly mine, is that printing can be done
after the message (or attachment) is saved, using a system's normal file
type viewing and printing software.  Adding that function to pan at this
point would be a lot of code for minimal gain.  Pan should be a "pimp-ass
newsclient"; it's not "papa", so need not be a pimp-ass printing-app. <g>

That isn't to say the functionality can't eventually be added, but there's
a lot of news functionality (scoring on non-overview headers and body
content comes to mind, as does attachment posting) not yet there yet.

OTOH, if you have the skills and it's either compile-time optional or
doesn't require all sorts of GNOME libraries as dependencies (unlikely,
at least at a sane code size, thus optional is the better bet), Charles has
always said wishes with patches tend to get integrated faster. =8^)