pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Feature request for Pan Beta

From: Artur Jachacy
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Feature request for Pan Beta
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:19:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:31:56 -0700, walt wrote:

> Brad Sims wrote:
>> On the post editor, could we get a line number and column number at the
>> bottom somewhere?...
>
> I always enable that feature in emacs for general-purpose editing, but I
> confess I've never felt the need in a newsreader.  Can you share with us
> how/why you would use it?

I can share with you how I used it in earlier versions of Pan: sometimes
when I copied text from the Web or other sources into a message, it would
contain characters outside of the character set I used for posting to
Usenet. Upon sending a message Pan would warn me that such an offending
character is located in line X, column Y. Having column and line numbers
at the bottom of the editor window greatly sped up finding those
characters.

Artur