pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.101 "A pulse of dying power in a clenching pl

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.101 "A pulse of dying power in a clenching plastic fist."
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:40:15 +0000 (UTC)

"Holger Hoffstaette" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:41:28 +0200:

> Speaking of HTML postings - will the New Pan(tm) still display the HTML
> body parts of, say, gmane posters who are incapable of properly
> configuring their LookOut?

It still displays it as it always has -- as text, so you see the <html>
codes, appropriate from a security perspective, altho I've read of another
appropriate strategy as well, nuking the html codes entirely, leaving only
the text. That would require a submitted patch to pan, however, as I've
seen no indication Charles is considering anything like that on his own,
and whether the patch would be accepted or not is an open question, as it
might be considered bloat or depending on how it's implemented, possibly a
security issue of its own.

> I'm still using -- wait for it! -- 0.13.91
> since that's the only release that still works reliably on Windows (later
> releases just locked up frequently with the .pan directory on a samba
> server).

There's active development of the MSWormOS version for the soon to be
released pan 1.0.  You may wish to try the latest betas and report any
bugs you find, particularly instabilities in your installation, as Charles
is definitely interested and there's at least one other person actively
submitting patches to get/keep it working on pre-eXPrivacy.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it yet for other than testing,
particularly for text only groups or if you don't need the automated
multi-server of the new version, as there are still a number of old
features missing in the new version.  Some of them will still be missing
for 1.0, but it should at least be stable -- anyway if you test and report
problems -- and 0.13.91 is old enough you may not miss some of the
features of the 0.14.2.x series anyway (IDR what the feature additions
were between 0.13.91 and the 0.14.2.9x version that was the latest for so
long).

> Anyway..gmane is becoming almost useless due to all the top-posting shit
> but the HTML junk really takes the cake and if pan could help with that I
> might give the new version a go..

Really?  I haven't noticed a lot of top posting in the groups/lists I hang
out on.  However, they are the PAN and Gentoo-Linux groups, and certainly
HTML and to a lessor extent top-posting are actively discouraged by myself
and others.  Non-FLOSS lists are likely less top posting and HTML
discouraging.

As for the new version, as above, I'd still recommend the old version for
text groups at this time.  I know at least the way I use pan, with
multiple servers and multiple posting profiles depending on the group and
server, I won't be able to consider new-pan to have caught up until it
gets per-group state retention of things like posting profiles, and that's
set for post 1.0, so the pre-1.1 betas.  I'm using the new-pan ATM for
text groups mainly due to my activity here -- if I didn't need to keep
upto date with the latest so as to properly reply to folks here, I'd
certainly still be using old-pan for text, and since I'm not currently
very active in binaries (no time lately, which is another way of saying
other things have taken priority, or there'd be time), that would mean
I'd not be using new-pan at all.

So, certainly try 1.0 when it comes out, as MSWormOS support is very
active. If you can test the betas and bug report so much the better.
However, it's possible you'll want to wait until 1.1 to switch depending
on how you use PAN, tho you'll certainly want to give at least 1.0 a try.