pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.100 downloads marked as saved

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.100 downloads marked as saved
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:51:32 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Kerr <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 20 Jun 2006
11:52:15 -0500:

> Duncan wrote:
>
>> (Yeah, you're the one doing the work, but I guess I can call PAN "my"
>  > project too, after these years.)
>
> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Well, I certainly appreciate the your help on pan-users
> when I'm being my usual reticent self.  Still using KLibido, though? :)

Actually, not ATM.  Binary groups haven't gotten much (read as any) time
from me recently, and I haven't used either the latest klibido or the new
PAN on them.  I've been meaning to do so, if only for testing so I can
honestly say which I like better for binaries and why, and perhaps request
some features for PAN, but it hasn't been high enough priority to actually
do, ATM.  (Another slight complication is the fact that the current Gentoo
ebuild for KLibido is a bit dated and needs some minor tweaking or manual
intervention to get it to work on the latest klibido build, with the latest
db, and I haven't had time to do that tweaking and perhaps produce the
ebuild patch and gentoo-bug it.)

>> So you are planning 1.0.x to be bugfixes on the 1.0 series, and 1.0.9x
>> the next beta series targeting the next stable as 1.1.0?  (In any case,
>> a note about (new) versioning policy on rebelbase might be in order.
>> Yeah, I know, nag-nagging again!  =8^)
>
> Probably right on both counts. :)

BTW, it came up in another reply, but I'd suggest using three-digit beta
build-numbers.  Thus, 1.0.900+ for the pre-1.1 betas.  That will eliminate
the possible confusion on whether .99 or .100 is newer, and while 10
weekly betas might not quite do it, hopefully 100 (or even more than 20)
will never be needed. =8^)

That also gives us the flexibility of using x.y.9zz for betas, and
x.y.99z for release candidates, if so desired.  While ten betas might
not cut it, ten release candidates should be as much overkill as 100 betas.
=8^)  That would also provide a way of signalling the distributions as to
when they should start getting serious about testing and resolving
distribution level bugs, as they aren't likely to be changed out from
under them upstream, at rc time.  Of course, 1.1-rcX works too, but having
it in the version number directly is a nice versioning feature.