pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Copy To Folder -- Then What ?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Copy To Folder -- Then What ?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:07:29 -0700

Aharon Schkolnik posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:07:09 +0200:

> Since articles don't stay forever on the NNTP server, I want to
> occassionally save some of them. I figured I'd use Copy To Folder. It
> seems to work just fine, but how do I view the articles I have saved ?

In the groups pane, change the listing from subscribed, to folders.  You
should then see a listing of the folders you've created, and can go into
them and view the messages within as you would an ordinary newsgroup.

However..  at one point I lost a bunch that I'd done that to, I'm not sure
why, except that it may have been due to my running most PAN betas, and/or
during a datafile format switch (since PAN treats the folders as sort of
pseudo newsgroups).  Anyway.. what I intended to be more or less permanent
storage didn't turn out that way and I lost all my saved messages.

Thus, my preferred option is to either save attachments and forget about
the text, for binaries, or for text messages.. use the PAN forward message
by mail feature to forward the message to one of my mail accounts.  I have
one set aside for messages and conversations that originate in the
newsgroups, and have my mail filters set up to sort mail from that address
accordingly.  That has the additional benefits of allowing me to use the
superior filtering and sorting of KMail (my mail client, superior because
it ACTUALLY ALLOWS FILTERING ON **ALL** THE HEADERS, **AND** THE BODY, not
just info that happens to be in the overview, as with PAN -- yes, that's
my one major pet peeve with PAN, but alas! I'm not to the point I can
submit a patch yet, and Charles says it's a good idea b4 1.0, but it's not
a priority at this point), and allowing me to keep all interesting saved
messages in one place, so I don't have to remember whether it was some
mail conversation, or a news thread, that the message I saved occurred in.

Benjamin Franklin