pan-users

[Pan-users] RE: suggestions for large groups

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] RE: suggestions for large groups
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 09:50:59 -0700

Lenroc posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on Sat, 03
Jan 2004 23:45:18 -0700:

> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 19:05:17 -0600, Erik wrote:
>
>> This is because you have 1 gig of cache. Lower it to a reasonable
>> amount and try again. 10 MB here and no high memory usage, swapping,
>> etc, even on machines with 128-256MB of RAM.
>
> Hehehe... with a 10MB cache, I always ran into a problem where the posts I
> was downloading would disappear from the cache before I even got to look
> at them.
>
> When browsing alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper, for example, I would click
> on say 5 walls to display (so they'd all load nearly simultaneously), and
> when they were all downloaded, if I was lucky there'd be 4 left in the
> cache...
>
> Not the way to go for me, that's for sure ;)

As Eric indicates.. it's possible to do w/o losing posts and w/o a large
cache.  I've done it too, tho it took me a bit to figure out how, but I
didn't like operating that way and run a 4G cache now.

The trick to doing it with a small cache is to set up the d/l task to save
the binaries directly, rather than d/ling them to view and possibly save
later.  I suppose that'd be intuitive with 500M plus movies, but it isn't
so with single-part images, neither is it necessarily so with 5M MP3s.
With images at least, it makes more sense to view them and then decide if
you want to save them or not, but get up into multi-hundred-meg movies,
and I can see how setting them up to save directly, and then deleting them
if they aren't worth keeping after viewing, would make more sense,
particularly since PAN doesn't view movies directly anyway, as it can
images.

Anyway, like I said, I figured out how to do it with a small cache, now,
but like working with a larger cache and downloading first, then
processing separately, so that's what I do, now, normally.  Occasionally,
if the file is large enough, I might save it directly, but I don't do that
very often.

Benjamin Franklin