pan-users

[Pan-users] suggestions for large groups

From: joe . matarazzo
Subject: [Pan-users] suggestions for large groups
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:34:45 -0800 (PST)

I was wondering if anyone could give some tips for using Pan with large
binary groups. I have a gig of memory in my machine, and Pan's cache is
set to a gig as well. However, loading a newsgroup with about 2 million
headers ends up causing Pan to start thrashing swap space about 2/3 of the
way through loading the group, or downloading that many new headers. The
machine slows down to a crawl and the rest of the (down)load takes
excessively long.

Do people have suggestions on anything else I could do to prevent the
thrashing for a large group? Is there some setting I could tweak, or
system parameter? Adding more physical memory isn't an option (I'm maxed
out). What exactly does Pan's cache deal with? Is there a limit on
number of headers that would help?

TIA,
Joe