pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Score file not getting rewritten

From: Jack
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Score file not getting rewritten
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 19:16:20 -0500

On 2022.02.27 09:06, Dominique Dumont wrote:
On Saturday, 26 February 2022 19:24:23 CET Jack wrote:
> Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should start looking for the
> problem?

In this case, I usually search in the code for the log message:

$ ack "Expired old score from" pan
pan/usenet-utils/scorefile.cc
305: Log::add_info_va (_("Expired old score from %*.*s, line %d"),

I would first search in this file.
Thanks for the hint, but it hasn't helped much. Below that line, I see that it does set item->expired = true, but I can't find anywhere that either triggers a rewrite of Score or is used to drop those lines if/when Score is rewritten. In fact, the only writing of the Score file I can find is in pan/data-impl/headers.cc in DataImpl :: add_score, where a new score rule is appended to the file. I may well have missed something relevant, as my c++ is not very good.

One possible relevant section I found is in data-impl/headers.cc DataImpl :: comment_out_scorefile_lines, which seems to rewrite the Score file with specified lines commented out with a leading "#" but nothing actually removed, and no reference to "expired."

Normally, I might compile with debugging support and run under a debugger, but I'm not trying to find where a problem happens - I'm trying to find where something doesn't happen. I still think it's more likely that i missed something than that Score never does get fully rewritten without expired rules. but I'm at a loss.

Any other suggestions?