pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: How is development going?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: How is development going?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 12:32:49 +0000 (UTC)

"Ben Bullock" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Sat, 31 May 2008 20:33:00 +0900:

> I would like to, but I'm a little scared of breaking something. I found
> bugs like one where the "apply_profiles" routine is called twice,
> resulting in a double signature, so I commented out one of the calls,
> but I have no idea whether that is the correct solution.

I'm not a dev so can't help you on that, but I can say there's a thread
on it on the user group.  FWIW, someone said and others have verified
that the problem only occurs if pan has to wrap the text.  If the text
comes in pre-wrapped, pan handles it fine.  Maybe that'll help you with
what's going on in the code.  If so and you get a fix you are sure of, I
believe there's a bug filed that you could submit a patch on.

If you can't figure it out, at least there's a work-around.  Maybe with
it the patch will be too much trouble to worry about.

> Also I very
> badly wanted to turn off the "text massager" because I want to post to
> computer language groups and having the quoted text massaged results in
> a complete mess when the quoted content is formatted computer code, so I
> fixed the problem by just completely commenting out the part where the
> text massager is called. But what's really required is to have an option
> where the text massager can be switched on or off according to
> preferences, and I don't know how to do that.

You're talking about the text wrapper?  On post display, of course, you
can toggle that with the menu item (and I believe the default accel is
"w" for wrap, but I'm not sure as I long ago changed a bunch of accels
using the accels.txt dump, and no longer am sure of /any/ of the
defaults).

In the compose window, I believe the wrap-text option is remembered based
on how it was last set, but I'm not sure on that.  I usually have wrap-
text on, but do find it a problem myself once in awhile.  If it's just a
few lines I'll fix it manually.  If it's many, I'll set unwrap, cancel
the posting, then re-followup to get an unwrapped version.  So that much
works here.  What I'm not sure of is whether it's retained over a pan
restart, or whether it's a global or per-group preference, tho I'd
imagine global.