pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Various problems when launching pan CVS (bis repetit

From: GISQUET Christophe
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Various problems when launching pan CVS (bis repetita)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:20:28 +0200

Duncan wrote:
not have MSWormOS installed at all.  Personally, there's a serious
question of whether I could install it at all, legally, depending on
whether EULAs are considered legally binding or not, as I could no longer
agree to the MS EULA.

There is indeed a philosophical/ethical debate on whether to use and offer open source/free software on a proprietary platform like the one you quote. This is a matter of personal choice, so let's keep technical, and have the focus on the development side.

Actually, not to speak for Charles, here, but I've gotten the impression
that he's interested in keeping an MSWormOS port, and further, that he has

Novell is also interested in having a port of GTK+ and to some extend Gnome desktop/environment, and has recruited a long-time developper, Tor Lillqvist, to keep porting more stuff to this OS. So, it is not an uncommon move, at least.

what is, after all, an open source project.  If you are willing to
dedicate the necessary time and personal resources to being the MS
platforms pointman developer and have the necessary skillset (as it
appears you might), it's quite likely he and Chris would be happy to have

I'm not fluent at all with GTK+, let alone GOBject, oriented programming. So, core development on Pan is way out of my reach. I do want to report compilation and working progress under this platform, though.

It also depends on how Pan developpers want to get my help. I thought my previous reports were borderline betweend -devel mailing list and bugzilla? Therefore, how about opening bug reports on bugzilla? I'm not sure how developpers prefer their bug+patch submissions.

it as a co-equal or even lead platform.  Until a volunteer steps up that's
willing to dedicate the required time, energy, and resources, and has the
required skillset, it's simply not going to happen.  That's the

As I said, I'm willing to dedicate time and resources to make it. Being called 'in charge' is not how I think this dedication could be described, though.

unfortunate (for MSWormOS users anyway) reality.  Of course, there are
many other news clients focused primarily or exclusively on MSWormOS, if
you prefer.

None is free software, and there is no alternative to graphical closed-source clients. Anyway, my focus is on Pan, which I really like. I also think it is a worthwile newsreader compared to those clients. Besides, there is a technical thrill to use a software you can check what it is made of.

Regards,
--
GISQUET Christophe