pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: RPM for gtkspell?

From: Evan Martin
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: RPM for gtkspell?
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:24:18 -0700

John Aldrich wrote:
Just wondering if you have an RPM version of GTKSpell or if you know of anyone who does? Pan is going to start requiring GTKSpell for pre-built binaries. I installed it from the tarball, but unfortunately it won't recognize it that way... :-(
Thanks...
        John

PS.. if you can provide a spec file, I'll provide you a binary and source RPM! :-)

I haven't made RPMs for GtkSpell because I don't use Redhat. I don't know anyone who has made RPMs for GtkSpell because it isn't very popular yet-- the gtk1.2 version was used in a bunch of programs but gtk2 is new enough that Pan (and LogJam, the program I wrote it for: http://logjam.danga.com) are the only programs I know that use it.

I'll ask the LogJam users if anyone wants to make one (I know at least one person who works at Redhat), but if anyone on the Pan mailing list would like to volunteer a .spec (or is it .spec.in?) I'd be grateful.

(For those same reasons, GtkSpell *is* in Debian unstable as of last week or so.)

Finally, if you don't want to explicitly depend on GtkSpell at compile-time, you can do something like this in your configure.ac (or configure.in... I haven't looked at the Pan source).

BASEMODULES="gtk+-2.0 gthread-2.0 libxml-2.0"
HAVE_GTKSPELL=yes
PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LOGJAM, $BASEMODULES gtkspell-2.0, ,
        [HAVE_GTKSPELL=no
        PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LOGJAM, $BASEMODULES)])
if test "$HAVE_GTKSPELL" = "yes" ; then
        AC_DEFINE(HAVE_GTKSPELL,,[do we have gtkspell?])
fi

Basically, it tries to configure with gtkspell-2.0, and if it fails it falls back to without it.

And then you can wrap GtkSpell calls in #ifdefs, like this:
#ifdef HAVE_GTKSPELL
#include <gtkspell/gtkspell.h>
#endif /* HAVE_GTKSPELL */

I'm not on the Pan list, so please CC me on replies.

-- Evan, GtkSpell author.