Re: [Openvortex-dev] alsa 0.9.4 + au8830 = sound is too fast

From: Callum Lerwick
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] alsa 0.9.4 + au8830 = sound is too fast
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:37:05 -0500

My problem is, that I killed esd, set it off in the preferences menu,
and reboot the machine in order to be sure that the old binary driver is
not confusing my mx 300 card. xmms and mplayer plays fast in oss and
alsa mode.

Sure you have the latest CVS? This was fixed on my (and apparetly everyone else here) au8830 card a while back.

I have ESD startup on boot disabled as well, however stuff that uses ESD, like say GAIM, will happily take it upon themselves to start esd up anyway. ;P

However even then ESD has not personally caused me any problems after the fastplay bug was fixed. GAIM happily plays its alert noises through ESD with XMMS running, and I have never had the fastplay bug strike again even after leaving XMMS playing for days straight. (And I generally have XMMS running at all times I'm at my computer, which is a lot... ;) So the general stability of the driver is good.

However I once tried stress testing by running many copies of XMMS at once, I think I got to 4 and the machine hosed up really bad. Haven't yet dared to repeat this test again, really should sometime. I tried the same thing with the OSS drivers and eight XMMS's played for hours with no problems.

If you're indeed getting the fastplay bug on a recent CVS, thats either maddening, or perhaps a chance to fix the damn thing for good. ;P

The other thing is, that the oss modules won't load
automatically, I have to modprobe them by hand even if my modules.conf
is 100 % the same as in the www.alsa-project.org page. Do you know other
programs in a gnome environment, that might confuse the card?

One way is to just pull the 'tui' driver from the savannah CVS and use that, I used this for quite some time with no problem(*), up until the ALSA driver started working on my card. Heh.

(*) Whats this about the OSS driver causing memory corruption? I have been noticing corrupt mp3's slowly turning up on my system, I was assuming it was from the fact my system has started suffering from an odd quirk of locking hard when its bumped too hard, (need to move it away from my feet and the falling distance of my heavy IBM model M keyboard...) with 512mb RAM and at least 256mb of it being used as file cache you lose a lot of data if the system locks hard. ;P Could it have been the Aureal driver the whole time? If its known to be capable of corrupting RAM, its really should be labled with a big red flashing USER BEWARE! ;P

Also, who owns the Sourceforge Aureal project? It seems to be quite dead for some time now. Can someone get a "This project is dead, everything's happening at the Savannah project." pointer posted there? The sourceforge page still seems to be the most known and highest listed in the search engines last I checked. ;P

Perhaps with the driver becoming mostly useable we should start a bit of a PR campaign. Attract more testers and eyeballs on the code. Perhaps pretty up the homepage and get it slashdotted. I volunteer for such duty. ;)

Also, what are the plans for merging with mainline ALSA? Will all the bleeding edge development still happen in the Savannah CVS and then just get pushed to mainline from there?