Re: [Openvortex-dev] Alsa 0.9.4 merge

From: Marc Heerdink
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Alsa 0.9.4 merge
Date: 18 Jun 2003 11:29:33 +0200

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 10:16, Callum Lerwick wrote:
[..]
> Some quick notes:
>
> Pulled CVS right after 0.9.4 merge, applied Ryan's patches. 3D effect
> works now, ext amp has no effect on my 8830, quad sound still doesn't
> work, I see no switch for it, though it probably didn't patch properly.
> What does PCM Out Path & Mute mean? Pre 3D and post 3D, something to do
> with cheezy 3D effect? Seems to have no effect. This setting is in
> windows ac97mixer too.
>
> Seems to me having the amp off by default might be better so someone
> doesn't blow their speakers out accidentally... But if all known cards
> are known to need it on then so be it. What other cards other than
> au88x0 supported by ALSA use the affected codec?

The chance of someone blowing their speakers with the ext amp on is
nihil. Without it, the sound is barely hearable, with it, the sound
levels are just fine. Both the binary and windows drivers have it
enabled by default with no possibility to turn it off.

If it doesn't have any effect on your soundcard, you probably have
normal sound levels anyway (and likely a different codec on your card).
Trust me, when the external amp is turned off, my au8830 is a piece of
junk.

Marc

--
         (__)