Re: [Openvortex-dev] build patches, other patches

From: Jeff Muizelaar
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] build patches, other patches
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:46:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Will DeRousse wrote:

> Hi, 4 more patches for review.
>
> The first two fix building on new checkouts. The last patch for some reason
> only did half the changes.
>
> The third is an error handling cleanup in au88x0.c. It seems fairly common in
> kernel code but did not save on module size (oddly).

gcc will drop the common code out to the end like you did by hand. (this
is a guess whithout actually looking at the generated asm)

> The fourth is my second attempt at reindenting header files (au8810.h only).
> I also removed some duplicate defines.
>
> http://kmusicdb.sourceforge.net/build.diff

seems to be already there.

> http://kmusicdb.sourceforge.net/build2.diff

committed.

> http://kmusicdb.sourceforge.net/error.diff

I am not going to commit this yet. This is basically a case of alsa style
vs. kernel style. The main reason for doing stuff like this is to
make unwinding/deallocation stuff sane. However, in the case of
snd_card_free, alsa does this for us. The cleanup for snd_vortex_free is
actually a buggy as it will try and release things that we might not have.
I'll probably clean/fix this tonight.

> http://kmusicdb.sourceforge.net/beauty7.diff

I'll wait for Manuel to say something on this one.

Will, if you are looking for more things to do, one thing that I have been
thinking about is a script/program that takes au8810.h, au8820.h and
au8830.h

ie.

au8810.h:
#define VORTEX_IRQ_CTRL 0x2a004

au8820.h:
#define VORTEX_IRQ_CTRL 0x12804

au8830.h:
#define VORTEX_IRQ_CTRL 0x2a004

and produces something like:

struct reg_defn{
        char *name;
        int au8810;
        int au8820;
        int au8830;
};

struct reg_defn vortex_regs[] = {
        {"VORTEX_IRQ_CTRL", 0x2a000, 0x12804, 0x2a000 },
        { and so on for each of the registers}
};

-Jeff