Re: [Openexr-devel] FindIlmbase.cmake & FindOpenEXR.cmake

From: Gonzalo Garramuño
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] FindIlmbase.cmake & FindOpenEXR.cmake
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 15:56:02 -0300

On 25/01/2016 03:23 p.m., Christopher Horvath wrote:

I'm really curious to hear if anyone has gotten CMake to work for real in a complex production environment with multiple versions of things like boost, python, and so on. I note that every large organization I've seen (such as Google, Facebook) just ports the builds to their proprietary build tools, rather than using autoconf or cmake.
The way I use cmake is that I have all FindPackage.cmake use an environment variable to search for packages. Then I have a wrapper script that just sets all the variables which I run before running cmake. I also use a wrapper script (mk) to run cmake and make all in one step and handle the setting of different OSes. This has worked fine with me and mrViewer, which has dependencies on boost, fltk, ffmpeg, imagemagick, sampleicc, ctl, aces_container, openexr, glew, etc. and is coded to run on windows and linux. Updating to new versions of everything usually takes me a day.

I have had nothing but frustration with things like autotools as porting to windows is nearly impossible.