Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers

From: Larry Gritz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:08:19 -0700

One potential problem is: if you treat the XMP as a black box that just gets
copied to the output, it's easy for it to get "out of sync" with the actual
image or with other OpenEXR fields that hold redundant versions of the data.

For example: there are standard EXR attributes for a few things that would be
in XMP, like expTime, aperture, or capTime. Others arguably are replicated: is
"owner" the same as the XMP copyright notices, or not?

If you think any of these are supposed to represent the same data, you can get
into problems when an app reads the EXR file, just copies XMP to output, but
changes one of the related OpenEXR fields. Then you end up with an output file
that has metadata that in some sense contradicts itself.

        -- lg