Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 16:13:44 -0700

On Jul 18, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Larry Gritz wrote:

> If you think any of these are supposed to represent the same data, you can
> get into problems when an app reads the EXR file, just copies XMP to output,
> but changes one of the related OpenEXR fields. Then you end up with an output
> file that has metadata that in some sense contradicts itself.

In most cases I imagine they'll only have one form of metadata coming in and
any other EXR attributes they add will be parsed from that source.

For example, I currently get ICC profiles from the Adobe apps, which I then
parse out to make Chromaticity attributes.  But an ICC profile can have
information that can't be reconstructed from chromaticities, so that's why I
embed the whole thing as well.

Anyway, let's not let perfect become the enemy of good.  The benefit of getting
more metadata outweighs the risk of getting conflicting metadata, which I would
call a bug for the app developer.

Brendan