Re: [Openexr-devel] 3dsMax OpenEXR support

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] 3dsMax OpenEXR support
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:38:59 -0700

An xViewAngle attribute may not be necessary; the OpenEXR file header
already has a few required attributes that are meant to describe the
view pyramid.

- pixelAspectRatio (type float) defines the aspect ratio (width over
  height) of a single pixel.  Together with the display window,
  pixelAspectRatio defines the image's aspect ratio.

- We assume that the image is produced by a pin hole camera with the
  pin hole at the coordinate origin.  The camera points into positive
  z direction, and projects the image onto the z == -1 plane (the
  "projection plane".

  The (display window of) the image stored in the file corresponds to
  a rectangular region in the projection plane, the "screen window".
  The screen window's center and width are defined by the header's
  screenWindowCenter (type V2f) and screenWindowWidth (type float)
  attributes.  The screen window's height is equal to screenWindowWidth
  divided by the image's aspect ratio.

This definition of the view pyramid is more complicated than the
xViewAngle, but it allows oblique view pyramids where the projection
center does not coincide with the center of the image (for example,
in photographs taken with wide-angle shift lenses).  If necessary,
the definition can also be expanded for orthographic views.