[Openexr-devel] 3dsMax OpenEXR support

From: Steve Blackmon
Subject: [Openexr-devel] 3dsMax OpenEXR support
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 01:23:44 -0700

Greetings All,

I just wanted to drop a note to the list to mention that we are finishing up an OpenEXR 3dsMax Bitmap I/O plugin. The binary will be freely available via our website in the coming few days, with builds supporting 3dsMax R3,R4, and R5. Once the plugin is released and any outstanding issues are resolved, we plan to spend some extra time polishing up the code, after which we would like to submit the plugin source for inclusion in the OpenEXR distribution.

The plugin includes full support for writing all the standard 'g-buffer' channel data from 3dsMax, including z-buffer, object id, material id, velocity data, etc., with user specifiable attribute identifiers to allow for maximum compatability with various compositing applications and other software that supports OpenEXR. The plugin will also provide the option to embed some scene specific information in the file including camera transform data and projection information such as FoV and Aperture.

It's been a bit of a bumpy ride getting this working, but we're very happy with the results (thanks to the great work by the folks at ILM.) Great job guys, this format rocks :)

-Steve Blackmon

'I know a song, would you like to hear it.  Daisy...daisy...'
address@hidden

Brazil r/s
SplutterFish LLC
www.splutterfish.com