[Openexr-devel] Re: Mac stuff

From: Derek Ledbetter
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Re: Mac stuff
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:52:01 -0700

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 03:47  PM, Paul Schneider wrote:

>Hi, Derek,
>
>>On OS X, the stack is practically only limited by your swap space.
>
>Is that true? We've had problems with large stack-based arrays crashing
>on OS X inside the Piz compressor, even when building with gcc.  The
>only documentation I could find on the issue was this:
>
>http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/DeveloperTools/ MachORuntime/2rt_powerpc_abi/chapter_3_section_4.html
>
>This seems to suggest that the stack size is fixed even on X (and even
>in the Mach-O runtime), but it could be out of date.

Yeah, I'm probably wrong about that.  I do know that the heap size
settings only apply to OS 9.  On OS X, the stack size is obviously much
larger than the setting in the panel, but there's probably some other
limit.  Here's some recent posts on this topic:

"Help.  Can't find how to increase stack limit"
<http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF- 8&safe=off&th=fa6dee68462ab47e&rnum=1>

"Big Array in MachO causes Segmentation Fault"
<http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF- 8&safe=off&th=9e72a986de75f4f3&seekm=3E790547.2C4FDF59%40idiom.com&frame =off>