Re: Release 6.1

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Release 6.1
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 07:51:34 -0800

On 01/30/2020 03:55 AM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:
> Am 28. Januar 2020 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb "Rik":
>> I'm not clear on the exact 5.2 release date but it seems like it will be
>> 1/31 or 2/1.  After that, someone can merge default on to stable and we can
>> start the 6.1 cycle.  It seems like a worthy goal to finish up before the
>> Feb. 27th and the big Ubuntu freeze.
> I agree, it would be nice to get Octave 6.1 into the Ubuntu LTS.
> But I'm not sure if the remaining 4 weeks are enough to get that ready for
> their freeze.
> I remember there was a lot of activity after default was merged to stable for
> the 5.1 release (ASAN, PVC Analyzer, ...). And there are still a few open
> bugs that haven't been worked on yet.

One of the long-term goals is to move Octave towards a less onerous release
process.  We don't want to require perfection (especially on the first
release).  Instead, I think we should try very hard to get 6.1 released in
time.  Ubuntu will not allow a major update after Feb. 27th, but they will
allow unlimited bug fixes, so we should use that flexibility.

Also, some of the tasks are "nice to have", but not "need to have".  Static
code analysis, shortening long lines (bug #57599), typos in code comments
(another bug report) are nice, but not required.  Incidentally, I ran ASAN
and didn't see much difference between the current dev branch and 5.1.
There haven't been any major memory leaks introduced.

--Rik