Re: Release 6.1

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Release 6.1
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 12:55:18 +0100

Am 28. Januar 2020 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb "Rik":
> I'm not clear on the exact 5.2 release date but it seems like it will be
> 1/31 or 2/1.  After that, someone can merge default on to stable and we can
> start the 6.1 cycle.  It seems like a worthy goal to finish up before the
> Feb. 27th and the big Ubuntu freeze.

I agree, it would be nice to get Octave 6.1 into the Ubuntu LTS.
But I'm not sure if the remaining 4 weeks are enough to get that ready for
their freeze.
I remember there was a lot of activity after default was merged to stable for
the 5.1 release (ASAN, PVC Analyzer, ...). And there are still a few open bugs
that haven't been worked on yet.

Maybe, it would be safer to leave the current stable branch open for a few
weeks after 5.2 is released to be able to fix some emerging bug that we might
have missed. That way we would have a "really stable" 5.2 (or 5.3 if this
should be necessary) instead of a "rushed" 6.1 for the Ubuntu LTS.

Markus