Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 18:07:20 +0100

Am 14. Januar 2020 um 16:22 Uhr schrieb "Kai Torben Ohlhus":
> An: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Octave-Maintainers <address@hidden>
> Betreff: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
>
> On 1/15/20 12:01 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> >> jwe and all,
> >>
> >> currently I am uploading fresh builds of the stable branch 5.1.90,
> >> including all 3x3 flavors of MXE and build logs to
> >>
> >>     https://octave.space/stable_56dd7419d7aa/
> >>
> >> This might take some time, but the most important ones
> >>
> >>     octave-5.1.90-w64-*
> >>
> >> are already there.  Was it possible to publish that release on
> >>
> >>     https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/octave/  ?
> >>
> >> I would be happy to announce a final regression test period from January
> >> 15 to 31 followed by a minor Octave 5.2.0 release, if no bad regressions
> >> were discovered in that time.  Then all focus goes back to Octave 6.
> >>
> >> A final note about the year 2020 change:  Basically, on Octave 5.2.0
> >> there was no development in 2020.  Thus we might skip touching all
> >> headers and just adapt the date in the most important places indicating
> >> the year of the 5.2.0 release.
> >
> > It looks like in the past we only uploaded the w64 build to
> > alpha.gnu.org, not the w32 or w64-64 builds.  Do you think all are
> > needed there?
> >
> > For 5.1.0 on ftp.gnu.org we did upload all w32, w64,
> > and w64-64 in installer exe, zip, and 7z formats.
> >
> > jwe
> >

> Maybe for alpha the w64 version is enough.  For the remaining versions,
> one can consult https://octave.space/stable_56dd7419d7aa/.
>
> I think especially the source tarball should be located at this more
> official location.

Thanks for providing the release candidates. Very much appreciated.

I installed with the w64 installer on Windows 10 and tried to run the test
suite. Octave closed unexpectedly with the following at the tail of fntests.log:

This might be something we already fixed on default (hg id 1a75fca6ad5d, mlock
for the SuiteSparse functions). That change should maybe be grafted to stable
if possible.

Also, the installer appears blurry on a HiDPI screen (see attachment). Compare
the text in the title bar and the text inside the window.
I don't know if there is something we can do about this or if this has to be
fixed upstream in NSIS.

Markus