Re: Octave line length

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave line length
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 23:20:29 -0600

On 1/13/20 5:18 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:

On 1/13/20 6:06 PM, Rik wrote:
On 01/13/2020 11:30 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 1/13/20 11:02 AM, Rik wrote:

With that in mind, I would suggest we stop enforcing an 80-character
limit.  It isn't particularly important given that programmers are working
on 25" HiDPI monitors these days.  Instead, what I value is the clarity of
intent.

Let's not go too long! Now that we have large monitors, some of us use
them to fit multiple editor and console windows side-by-side. A limit of
80-100 lines is still useful in those cases. Also some of us are working
on 13" laptops.
Is it easy to ask the reformatting tool to not break any expressions into multiple lines and then get a distribution of line lengths for all lines? I think it would be interesting to see just how many lines are longer than 80, 90, 100, ... characters.

> And I'll bet there's some old curmudgeons in the Octave
> community still running on 80-column terminal emulators.

Emulator?!? I still have a Wyse CRT terminal! (But it's in a box and I haven't used it in many years.)