Re: Octave line length

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave line length
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:22:19 +0900

On 1/14/20 8:18 AM, Andrew Janke wrote:

> On 1/13/20 6:06 PM, Rik wrote:
>> On 01/13/2020 11:30 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>>> On 1/13/20 11:02 AM, Rik wrote:
>
>> With that in mind, I would suggest we stop enforcing an 80-character
>> limit.  It isn't particularly important given that programmers are working
>> on 25" HiDPI monitors these days.  Instead, what I value is the clarity of
>> intent.
>
> Let's not go too long! Now that we have large monitors, some of us use
> them to fit multiple editor and console windows side-by-side. A limit of
> 80-100 lines is still useful in those cases. Also some of us are working
> on 13" laptops. And I'll bet there's some old curmudgeons in the Octave
> community still running on 80-column terminal emulators.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Personally, I also favor to stick to old-school 80 columns, due to
reasons given by Andrew already.  Seeing documents side-by-side is
important for my editing and comparing.  Any vertical scrolling just
consumes time and the overview suffers a lot.  Additionally, it forces
me to think more about code structure, but like with any rule, a few
exceptions should be permitted.

Best,
Kai