Re: llvm fails to get built in mxe-octave

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: llvm fails to get built in mxe-octave
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 04:31:34 -0500 (CDT)

John W. Eaton wrote
> On 3/23/19 6:09 AM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When starting a completely new fresh mxe-octave build, building llvm gets
>> stuck in the last stages. Excerpt from build log below. I see a long list
>> of
>> errors about "too many open files".
>>
>> What can I do to get llvm cross-built?
>
> What do
>
>    ulimit -n
>    ulimit -Hn

1024 & 4096, resp.

> say?  On Debian systems the soft limit appears to be 1024 by default.
> That's apparently too low now for building llvm, so try increasing it.
>
>    ulimit -n 4096

Thanks, I've set it to 2048 that way and that was enough to get past llvm.

Setting X to 1 in the JOBS=X setting for make-nsis-installer made no
difference.

That llvm issue must be a recent change as a mxe build tree freshly cloned
in January ran w/o trouble.

> The procedure for setting the default value may vary by system.  On
> Debian sytsems, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add/change the value for
>
>    fs.file-max=4096
>
> The value should change on the next system restart.

My Mageia 6 system didn't accept that, with that addition it never got past
the login screen, and with ridiculously high values for fn.file-max (65336)
"ulimit -n" stubbornly reported 1024.
Removing the fn.file-max line in /etc/sysctl.conf restored the login
process.
Anyway that's another issue, My immediate problem is solved.

Thanks all,

Philip