Re: Build a portable linux binary?

From: roland65
Subject: Re: Build a portable linux binary?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 02:28:08 -0600 (CST)

John W. Eaton wrote
> Other options like flatpak seem promising [...]All for
> what?  To avoid updating the OS?

I understand your point, however, as said by Przemek "many people have the
OS imposed on them by their inflexible IT organization". This is indeed the
case in big companies.

Moreover, updating the system is not always desirable. For example, I use
Ubuntu LTS for its stability and long support and I don't want to update
every six months to a semi stable system. But then, the Octave shipped with
Ubuntu LTS is several versions behind...