Re: Deprecating FLTK toolkit

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: Deprecating FLTK toolkit
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 10:35:19 -0700 (MST)

Daniel Sebald wrote
>> Using that same argument, we should also get
>> rid of the gnuplot interface.
>
> The overriding reason for gnuplot toolkit is *quality* graphics output.

How can you speak about *quality* when the output does not even have the
same aspect ratio as the the expected figure?

Daniel Sebald wrote
> There was a big push years ago to go the route of generating pixel-based
> EPS files via Mesa (not utilizing the vector quality of EPS, but instead
> doing a pixel translation of the plot and save in an EPS file as a
> picture).

This is *bullshit*, please check your assertions and provide links!

Daniel Sebald wrote
> There are indications this isn't sufficient quality, e.g.,
> this recent discussion:
>
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Converting-from-SVG-for-some-printed-output-td4685399.html

This discussion has nothing to do with raster versus vector graphics.

Sorry but can provide a few *actual* examples of *useful* (not 10Mb 3D
graphics that anyone would print to raster formats)  graphics that are
really better looking when printed with  gnuplot ?

Pantxo