Re: typo?) bug in Figure.cc

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: typo?) bug in Figure.cc
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:09:39 -0500

On 11/08/2017 04:26 AM, Pantxo wrote:

I have a couple of requests/remarks about this change:
* Could we change this ".fig" default extension to "ofig" (the default for
hgsave when no extension is provided) to make it clear that (i) this is not
a matlab compatible figure format, (ii) this is not xfig format either?

I suppose .ofig is fine for the files we generate. I checked in this change:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/92acdcf72c46

If we ever generate files that could be opened with Matlab, then maybe we could switch to .fig (possibly with a configuration option to choose the default suffix?).

* If we provide a way to save figures (as opposed to print) from the GUI
then we must provide a way to reopen them. Currently, double clicking on a
".ofig" file in the file dock widget will only load the underlying structure
data which is not what we want. There is a patch that must probably be
updated to apply cleanly (see https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50543)

I'll take a look at it.

* The hgsave/hgload mechanism is currently very fragile because we are
unable to save listeners so reopen figures don't behave as the original
figures (see https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48067).

OK, it seemed to work for me. But maybe I was saving figures that did not have listeners, or that were not important for the simple thing I was doing (just loading and viewing a figure).