Default merged to stable for 4.0.0 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Default merged to stable for 4.0.0 release
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:51:00 -0400

I've merged default to stable in preparation for the 4.0.0 release.

Changes that are appropriate for the release should go on the stable branch. This includes fixes for serious bugs and regressions only (but if they are invasive changes, we should discuss first). At this point it is still OK to introduce backwardly incompatible changes. Once the 4.0.0 release is made we will expect changes on stable to preserve binary compatibility for all 4.0.x release.

All other changes should be made on default.