specfun release ? [WAS: laguerre.m functions in specfun package]

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: specfun release ? [WAS: laguerre.m functions in specfun package]
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 19:35:11 +0200

Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
On 25 April 2015 at 20:30, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
Carnë Draug wrote:

On 25 April 2015 at 15:56, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden>
wrote:

After Colin has tidied up a bit in the OF specfun package, I'm planning
make a new release of it.

The package in the mercurial repo contains two laguerre.m functions, one
in
inst/, the other in devel/

The latter looks to be a bit more elaborate (it contains a demo and
perhaps
more aptly named variables), to compensate for that it is lacking a bit
in
coding style and lacks the one comment line that was present in the
original
(?) one in inst/.

So, any advice about which laguerre.m to retain?

"hg log" tells me this is work from Juan Carbajal who was trying to merge
the
existing laguerre with laguerrepoly from the miscellaneous package:

      o  changeset:   144:88d235233c5e
      |  user:        jpicarbajal
      |  date:        Sun Apr 14 19:33:57 2013 +0000
      |  files:       devel/laguerre.m
      |  specfun: unifying laguerre and laguerrepoly

Also, the plan was to simply move the whole specfun package into the
unmaintained section.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44533#comment3

Hmmm, I missed that part of the discussion (although I commented there
initially).

I wouldn't mind keeping specfun around a little longer, esp. now that Colin
pimped the heaviside and dirac functions.
His suggestion to move them to core is probably too late for 4.0.0 so I
suggested to temporarily have them in a new specfun release, see
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8644#comment4

As far as I'm concerned that could be the last specfun release then; it
could have a dependency added on Octave < 4.2.0

So, what shall I do?

I am arguing that dirac and heaviside should be moved to the symbolic
package.  And then we drop the specfun package.
See https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8644#comment13

Carnë

I completely disagree with this.
Symbolic does not offer replacement for these functions. Specially it
is not true that

multinom, multinom_coeff, multinom_exp -- I think these are monomials,
and nthcoeff in the sym,bolic package

(mind the "I think"). These functions are optimized for numeric not
for symbolic manipulation (which by the way is the main role of
octave). The symbolic version of these function will just ad an over
heard in time execution and memory!

Please always think of this when you want to replace a numerical
version of a function with a symbolic one (please!). You should
provide performance (time and memory) justifying the change.

In any case, if you want to get rid of specfun (I do not know why you
would want that!), I would say be mindful if your are not a user of
the package. Your interest might not coincide with the interest of the
true/intended users.

In the bug report that Carnë mentioned I read Mike's comment as a suggestion to drop specfun from the mxe-octave Windows installer, rather than drop it completely from Octave-Forge.

specfun contains a few functions that still may be useful and are neither in core nor other OF packages. AFAIAC they can also go to e.g., miscellaneous. AFAICS the package does not constitute an undue maintenance burden. A release would have taken less time than all the collected time invested in this thread :-) and probably much less investment than porting the rest of its functions to symbolic as suggested in https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8644#comment13

As to functions in symbolic versus numerical functions:
Colin (symbolic package author) can explain best why there's a need for the overhauled heaviside.m and dirac.m to not live in symbolic; his original aim was to get them in core. In fact he did in his OP in https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8644 I'm not sure if .m functions in an OF package can be called with a handle (Colin's motive AFAIU); .oct functions in an OF package can.

Juan, if you can solve the laguerre.m issue I mentioned in my OP here I'm still prepared to make a new release (if Carnë is willing to upload it). But my suggestion to make it a temporary one until Octave 4.2.0 still stands (i.e., a dependency on Octave < 4.2.0). I think that would save all of us the most time now that Octave-4.0.0. is close.

Philip