Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac

From: jkr
Subject: Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:06:47 -0800 (PST)

I installed it without trouble, and find that command recall works as it
should.  However, plot() breaks.  This may be because I installed 3.8.1
beforehand, and 3.8.0 before that.  I got 3.8.0 from a dmg at soureforge.
Frustrated with no command line recall, I sought newer Octave, and
laboriously installed 3.8.1 using homebrew (this took a lot of steps and a
very long time).  It turned out this did not support command line recall.
Now, I've got 3.8.2 via the link in the preceding note.  3.8.1 is now under
/usr/local/Cellar.  3.8.2 and 3.8.0 are, next to each other under
/usr/local/octave.

The homebrew instructions involved downloading a XCode and XQuartz, and
mentioned a possible need to edit  octaverc accordingly to invoke X Quartz.
When I plot (successfully) from 3.8.1, it ends up invoking gnuplot_qt - the
qt referring to X Quartz?  When I plot from 3.8.2, it also invokes
gnuplot_qt, but gnuplot_qt doesn't plot anything, and soon crashes.

3.8.0, for what it's worth, plotted okay.  I can't run it now because 3.8.2
overwrote it, in the launcher anyway.

I suspect I've got 3.8.2's plot() invoking an incompatible routine from
3.8.1.

I tried renaming the octaverc supplied by 3.8.1 to deactivate it, and I
tried renaming the directory where 3.8.1 resides, but neither helped.

I'm trying hard here, but I'm stumped now.  Any suggestions as to how to
redirect 3.8.2 back to an X server (or whatever) that it works with?