First project for contribution: Add new calling forms for eig method

From: Igal Franko
Subject: First project for contribution: Add new calling forms for eig method
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 02:09:12 +0200

Hello everyone!

I have been starting to delve into the Octave code and I want to start contributing, mostly in the mathematical/numerical aspect as that is my main interest.
I've been looking for a first project for me to do as a contribution to Octave, hopefully it'll be one of many.
I've been looking at the pages http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas  and http://wiki.octave.org/Projects and one possibility which seemed good to me as a first project is "Add new calling forms for eig method" as it seems relatively simple, and it seems interesting.

First of all, I want to make sure this is not been handled by someone else already.
If I manage to handle that well, I can also try "Fix eig to also be able to solve the generalized eigenvalue problem, and to solve for eigenvalues and eigenvectors without performing a balancing step first." although it seems solving the generalized eigenvaue problem is already implemented, as the eig function does have a calling form LAMBDA = eig (A, B).

This will be my first project, so I'll probably have quite a bit of questions along the way.

Cheers,
Igal F.