Re: globally installed packages vs. relocatable Octave

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: globally installed packages vs. relocatable Octave
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 10:27:01 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 11/07/2014 10:41 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Fine examples are the 3.6.x binaries & OF package binaries supplied by
Nitzan. After unzipping the preinstalled packages into OCTAVE_HOME, "pkg
rebuild" would just suffice (Nitzan mentioned more options but that
was only
because OF package dependencies could also require a specific load order;
e.g., first the java pkg, only then the io pkg).

I'd really like to avoid the pkg rebuild step.

Yes it is a bit messy.
"pkg rebuild" does a lot of things under the hood; I suppose we just need (to adapt) those parts that update the various paths.
BTW I'm no fan of absolute paths either.

  And the need for having
a batch file to start Octave so that PATH and other settings are
correct.  But maybe this is just not possible?  I don't know.

On Windows I wouldn't consider a batch file a very alien thing. It looks rough but it is a very effective mechanism to set up the environment a program will be running in. Benjamin Lindner also used them, a.o., to set up the terminal, in the 3.2.x binaries. But if Octave can put its own libdir first in the PATH (at least on Wndows) a lot of problems can be avoided (not only the mkoctfile issues); that was my primary motive for a batch file. Other environment settings (like for specific OF packages, or local dependencies) can be set by setenv() once Octave itself is "up", but that must happen before those OF packages etc. are being loaded. Maybe they can be read from .octaverc and processed in time? Or maybe the pkg command should take care of it, on a per-OF-package basis? (IIRC the PKG_ADD files have some issues during OF package loading as regards exact timing of loading the .m file and .octfile subdirs)

 Also, I'd
eventually like to be able to cross compile packages for Windows systems
and install the resulting files in the zip file (or installer) and not
have absolute directory names corresponding to the build system show up
anywhere in the packages.

.... or in octave_config_info?

 That goal also applies to Octave itself.  I
think we have some work to do to make it a reality.

Philip