Re: globally installed packages vs. relocatable Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: globally installed packages vs. relocatable Octave
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 16:20:02 -0500

On 11/07/2014 10:41 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Fine examples are the 3.6.x binaries & OF package binaries supplied by
Nitzan. After unzipping the preinstalled packages into OCTAVE_HOME, "pkg
rebuild" would just suffice (Nitzan mentioned more options but that was only
because OF package dependencies could also require a specific load order;
e.g., first the java pkg, only then the io pkg).

I'd really like to avoid the pkg rebuild step. And the need for having a batch file to start Octave so that PATH and other settings are correct. But maybe this is just not possible? I don't know. Also, I'd eventually like to be able to cross compile packages for Windows systems and install the resulting files in the zip file (or installer) and not have absolute directory names corresponding to the build system show up anywhere in the packages. That goal also applies to Octave itself. I think we have some work to do to make it a reality.