Re: translating Community News

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: translating Community News
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 22:02:00 +0100

On 18.11.2013 21:48, Rik wrote:
> On 11/18/2013 12:16 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>> On 18 November 2013 20:08, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> 11/18/13
>>> In addition, unless someone responds e-mails me today to the contrary, I am
>>> going to freeze the GUI strings and ask the translators to prepare new
>>> translations.
>> I'm unsure about this, just throwing this around see what others
>> think. The community news window makes the online news appear as if
>> they're part of the program. Should we, and if yes how, translate them
>> to the configured language?
> Offhand, I would say that we shouldn't translate this.  For one thing, it
> is going to change relatively frequently (at least compared to a menu item
> or preference option which probably won't change for years).  Second, if we
> have limited translation efforts I think it might be better to use them on
> the documentation.

I agree to not translating the news.

There is John Swensen's patch
http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8242
that introduces the selection of displayed columns in the file browser
via the context menu (with new strings). Since this is a nice feature,
should we take this into the release? If yes I will have a look at the
patch tomorrow.

Torsten