Re: Mac OS X build reference?

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Re: Mac OS X build reference?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:12:39 -0500

On Feb 16, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:58 PM, fork <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Richard Campbell <rlcamp.pdx <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> That basically means installing Xcode (off your Snow Leopard dvd if you
>>> don't
>> want the ~1.6 GB download),
>>> the gfortran from r.research.att.com, building gnu sed, pcre, flex, and
>> gnuplot from source,
>>> optionally building fftw and readline from source. PCRE is the only one of
>> those mandatory dependencies
>>> that needs to be compiled as a universal binary (but FFTW and readline and
>> many other "optional"
>>> dependencies also do).
>>
>> Can you install the dependencies into their own subdirectories (like
>> /opt/pcre-2.32.3, /opt/fftw-xx.yy.zz etc) and then run configure with the
>> appropriate switches?  I would like to do it this way so I can delete an
>> entire
>> package and not hunt through /usr/local/bin/* /usr/local/lib/* etc.
>
> Or you can use MacPorts, as that is exactly where it places the dependencies.
>
> Ben

We've been over this before, but for fork's sake, the gist of it is that
Macports may install non-universal binaries (possibly breaking existing
applications which dynamically link to libraries) and you might end up with
multiple different versions of gcc, libstdc++  (again possibly breaking
existing applications which dynamically link to libraries), etc. on your
machine.

If Octave works with Macports, and if some people find that easier, great. But
let's make sure it works without it - and it's really not hard to do.

Campbell