Re: Octave fails to build on 64-bit OSX w/ FLTK

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave fails to build on 64-bit OSX w/ FLTK
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 09:42:17 -0500

On Feb 3, 2011, at 8:09 AM, Jarno Rajahalme wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2011, at 14:54 , ext Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>> Is there any reason not to include the -D__LISTS__ flag for both 32 and
>> 64bit builds?
>>

> Only if someone is building with OSX 10.4 AND the include file that drew in
> Lists.h actually tries to use definitions therein. I'd suggest put it in for
> both builds and see what happens. Maybe you test it for your 32-bit build?
>
>> Regarding README.MacOS, I can add this flag to the CPPFLAGS. If you'd like
>> to include some descriptive langauge, can you make a proposal?
>
> "The include file for the optional FLTK backend graphics library includes an
> deprecated OSX include file (Lists.h) that has a typedef colliding with the
> Octave Cell class. Defining the __LISTS__symbol in CPPFLAGS makes this
> include file have no effect, allowing Octave to build successfully. In the
> longer term it is expected for FLTK not to include this and many other OSX
> include files that are not needed by the applications (such as Octave) using
> FLTK."
>
>  Jarno

Using the flag, I built a 32bit Octave on MacOS 10.6.6 and encountered no
problems.

I've asked Richard about his 64bit build. He did not use this flag, and did not
include FLTK, but did use clang instead of gcc. I'll wait for his input before
making any changes.

Regarding D__LISTS__, is this not needed for Snow Leopard?

Ben