Re: Debbugs bug tracker for Octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Debbugs bug tracker for Octave
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:59:46 +0200

Thomas Weber wrote:
> Well, quite a lot of bugs are actually reported by the developers, so I
> thought they could start with their own bugs ;)

Ok, I'll try uploading a couple, in the next few days.

> I don't want to put too much real data (especially from occasional
> reporters) into the bug tracker yet. This is a test tracker and I see
> good reasons for _not_ choosing it.[1]

I think its probably better to put real data in it, but also cc to
address@hidden so the reports aren't lost

>> perhaps redirecting address@hidden to debbugs.
>
> John proposed this already, but as I said, I think people should start
> by using it for either bogus test-reports or trivial things, before
> committing real stuff there.

Agreed this was a longer term solution.

>> One concern I have though is wiki spam. See for example
>>
>> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=304
>>
>> If we use address@hidden as the gateway address it will be filtered,
>> which seems to me to be a good thing.
>
> As we want an open tracker, spam will be an issue no matter what. An
> e-mail based tracker has the advantage that there are several
> off-the-shelf filter solutions available.

I believe address@hidden already has something. As for being open, the
octave mailing lists are open, but any mail from non subscribed users
must be moderated, this seems to wok quite well as a solution and seems
to me it would be appropriate for the bug tracker as well.

> [1] Actually, I also see very good reasons _for_ using it, but well,
> that's what tests are for.

Cheers
David