Re: Use Octave's interpreter in my C++ program...

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Use Octave's interpreter in my C++ program...
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 17:02:39 +0200

John Swensen wrote:

> On May 23, 2008, at 10:44 AM, David Bateman wrote:
>>
>>> As with the MEX interface, we could make the functions act like the
>>> Matlab Engine counterparts.
>> Is the Matlab Engine your code or is it something more generic? If its
>> generic then it makes sense to try and have a class that performs with
>> Octave with the same API such that application written for one interface
>> can use the other.
>>
>> D.
>>

> So the Matlab Engine is a core Matlab functionality.  It is *not* a
> class, but a collection of functions.  You can see the API at
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/index.html?/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_external/f29148.html&http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Matlab+Engine&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8.
>

> Since people have already implemented a bunch/all of the mxArray
> functions, it might make sense to add these engine functions.  As you
> can see in the class I wrote,  implementing the functions listed in
> the URL I included will be trivial; simply converting my class into a
> non-class with the same functionality and the function names that
> match the Matlab Engine function.  However, if we do so, is there a
> way to ensure that they are only used when it is compiled with the
> mkoctfile --link-stand-alone option?
>
> John Swensen

Then it makes sense to have these in Octave itself.. However looking at
the engOpen command from the above link it appears that in fact Matlab
uses something like a fork/exec to create an entirely new process with
the Matlab instance running in it, rather than use a thread in the
current process, thus avoiding all the issues of thread safety. So what
you are proposing in fact goes beyond what is implemented in the Matlab
engine..

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only