Re: Very large folderTo:

From: Conrad Hughes
Subject: Re: Very large folderTo:
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 15:09:35 +0100

> I rather wish that NMH would take a "Path" to be...  well.. $PATH-like
> thing, such that I could move folders to an archive machine, with NMH
> being aware that they are elsewhere. Ideally, it could be told that
> they are even RO, burnt on DVD or something like that.

Not quite what you want, but in case it's useful:

I started using mairix as my MH search tool recently, and it supports a
vague approximation to this: I can throw an entire folder into a
.mmdf.xz file on my archive drive and tell mairix to index that file, so
whenever I use mairix to search for something with a long-enough time
window it'll extract these old emails from the .mmdf.xz into my +s
search results folder.  Can be a bit slow if it finds something at the
end of a very big archive, but that doesn't happen too often.

The result is that I currently have around 300 old archived folders
indexed in addition to all my current mail.  It enables a much more
streamlined .Mail folder while still giving full access to all the old
stuff.  For me it's been pretty transformative.

Conrad