Re: Very large folderTo:

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Very large folderTo:
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 09:54:08 +0100

Hi George,

> Its always been my belief that large folders cause multi level
> directory block chaining in traditional UNIX fs.

I expect the majority of nmh users are using ext3 or ext4 filesystems,
as shown by ‘df -T’, though perhaps we have many Apple users who have
something else.  I don't think ext* still use Thompson's original
approach of levels of data blocks to hold the extra (filename, inode)
pairs.

What I've found a problem with ext* filesystems is when a directory has
millions of files.  Deleting them took a week because I had to remove
them in small batches with seconds of pause between to allow the machine
to recover.  But Norm's some way under that.  :-)