Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to mh-draft.man

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to mh-draft.man
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:41:40 +0000

Hi Larry,

> > >  directly, they supply
> > >  .B send
> > > -with the UNIX pathname of the message draft, and
> > > -.B not
> > > -a
> > > +with the UNIX pathname of the message draft; NOT a
> > >  .B \-draftmessage
> > >  .I msg
> > >  argument.  As far as
> >
> > Must we shout for emphasis?  :-)
>
> It would seem so:
>
> $ grep UNIX * | wc -l
>       17

Historically, it's UNIX, and that was the trademark.  Bell Labs had
acquired a CAT phototypsetter, troff created to drive it, and they were
enamoured with the "small caps" they could produce, so it was written
all in capitals, but with the NIX smaller.  (They weren't small capitals
in a typographical sense, just capitals that were set smaller:
`U\s-2NIX\s0'.  :-)

Later, Ritchie did try and switch to Unix since it wasn't an acronym.
That proved tricky AIUI and both survive.  Both are historical.  I'm +1
for Unix as that's what he wanted.

But actually, I was talking about the `NOT' since the patch didn't
change UNIX.  :-)

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy