Re: [Nmh-workers] Sharing MH files across computers

From: Thomas Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Sharing MH files across computers
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 17:16:58 -0400

In case the consistency issue isn't as obvious as I had thought, I
present some specific concerns. Suppose, for simplicity, that my desktop
computer is always connected to the internet, with perfect uptime, and
that I have the rsync cron job on my laptop, which is often not
connected to the internet. I can also run the rsync manually. Here are
some problematic situations that could arise.

I inc on the laptop but close it before I run rsync. Then I inc on the
desktop. Both inc runs created new files in the same folder with the
same number.

I write a draft on the laptop when I do not have internet access. Before
I get around to connecting to the laptop, I also write a draft on the
desktop. Both drafts have the same number.

I refile 1000 messages, or I pack, on the laptop while I do not have
internet access. The issue is the same sort of issue as the previous
scenarios, except that it's a lot more messages.

I guess I could do rsync and have a way of resolving the conflicts: If
two identically named files aren't exact matches, rename one of them to
a higher number. Has anyone already written that?