Re: [Nmh-workers] base64 ... just looking for advice

From: Wolfgang Denk
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] base64 ... just looking for advice
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:57:34 +0100

Dear David,

In message <address@hidden> you wrote:
> Hymie wrote:
>
> > So I'm just wondering what other people are doing.  Are you going into
> > your raw email, stripping out HTML, undecoding base64, removing extra
> > "multipart" parts, things like that?
>
> See mhfixmsg(1) in nmh 1.6 or the current git repo.  Its main motivation was
> to allow grepping of messages.

Thanks for this great hint!

Hm... I still have problems understanding how to use mhfixmsg, though.

Assume I have an incoming multipart message with parts like these:

Part 1:

The "file" command identifies the whole message as "ASCII text", which
makes sense, as it has only 7 bit characters.

Conversion attempt 1:

        $ mhfixmsg +inbox 174 -decodetext 8bit -verbose -outfile ...
        mhfixmsg: 174 part 2, decode text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
        mhfixmsg: 174 part 1, decode text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

The resulting file is identified by "file" as "ISO-8859 text, with
very long lines"; it basically looks OK, except that I actually would
prefer to have it converted to UTF8 instead.

Conversion attempt 2:

        $ mhfixmsg +inbox 174 -decodetext 8bit -textcharset utf8 -verbose
-outfile ...

The resulting file is identified by "file" as "Non-ISO extended-ASCII
text, with very long lines".  Opening the file in "vim" shows that all
the 8 bit characters like the German umlaut characters are wrong;
the quoted-printable encoded "f=FCr" for example was not converted
into "für" as expected, but instead into "für".

What is needed to properly decode everything into UTF8?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: address@hidden
"It is easier to port a shell than a shell script."      - Larry Wall