Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.6 Release Engineering

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.6 Release Engineering
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 20:13:14 -0500

>With 1.6 approaching, now is a good time to rationalize our repo tagging
>a bit.
>
>What I'm thinking is we get everything for 1.6 onto the head, then cut a
>RELENG_1_6 branch.  That will become the basis for the 1.6 release.  In
>the branch we only do what is necessary to get 1.6 out the door.  I.e.
>critical bug fixes, release notes, etc.

Well ... we were all over the place, part of that was the limitations
imposed by CVS branch naming before.  For 1.5 we had a branch named
1.5-release, and 1.5-RC1, 1.5-RC2, and finally 1.5.  I think that naming
is fine and we should stick with it.

>Once the branch is cut, work can carry on on the head for what will be
>1.7, and we will repeat as necessary for future releases.

No objections here.

>If that's agreeable, would everyone with outstanding code for 1.6 step
>up with a brief description of what they need to commit, and an ETA?
>Once everything is in I will take care of creating the branch.

My outstanding changes are:

- Rototilling part display in mhshow
- No display of parts with a disposition of "attachment"
- Creation of a mh-mime man page to tie nmh MIME handling together.

Maybe ... 3 weeks for that all?  Or maybe a month.

>So in preparation for all this, if there are no objections, I would
>like to declare a feature freeze on commits to the head, other than
>any outstanding work that was already planned for 1.6 and is near
>completion.  After we cut the 1.6 branch we can open up the head again.

Sounds good to me.