Re: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 11:08:55 -0400

>Does one of the MIME RFCs require an encoding declaration when the
>charset is already given in the MIME header? If so, then virtually
>every email in my inbox which has a text/html part is wrong:

It's sort of a corner case, but RFC 2854 says that the "charset" MIME
parameter indicates the character set of the HTML in text/html parts.  It
also says a charset parameter is "strongly recommended".  I read it clearly
as saying that a charset MIME parameter applies to HTML in the absence of
an encoding parameter.

We don't have a straightforward way to put the charset into a MIME
display string. %a puts all of the MIME parameters in the output string,
and you could cook up something with that, although that isn't perfect.
I recently discovered that the mailcap is actually standardized in an
RFC; part of me thinks we should add support for that.