Re: [Nmh-workers] Limit of 27 messages sequences per folder

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Limit of 27 messages sequences per folder
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 18:16:00 -0400

Michael wrote:

> Can anyone think of a reason why using fd_set isn't just the right
> thing?   It is 1024 bits on most systems (256 on others), and a #define
> usually lets it get bigger.

If it's a different size on different systems that share a
sequences file, then we're back to the risk of silently
losing sequences.

Sure, 64-bit ints still have that risk.  But I don't have
a Cray :-]

As far as 27 or 59 sequences not being enough, I really
don't think it is.  Waaaay back when I started using
sequences, I saw that and realized that I wasn't going to
get very far with them.  I have folders with thousands of
messages and would have liked to use sequences to keep track
of related messages.  But I've had to do that other ways.