Re: [Nmh-workers] --prefix=/usr/local issues

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] --prefix=/usr/local issues
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:54:58 -0700

Lyndon Nerenberg <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2013-03-18, at 7:36 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> I configured and compiled with --prefix /usr/local
>> and things worked fine. Unfortunately, the whatnow
>> prompt reports the following when I try to send:
>>  unable to exec /usr/local/nmh/lib/post: No such file or directory
>
> Unrelated, but this reminds me of another nit I have with --prefix.
>
> Currently we install the etc stuff into ${prefix}/etc, which spams
> /usr/local/etc pretty hard when faced with --prefix=/usr/local.
> Personally, I'm not a fan of the /usr/local/nmh default prefix, and
> would prefer to see it changed to /usr/local, with the configdir stuff
> pushed down a level to $prefix/etc/nmh. (And libexec stuff in
> $prefix/libexec/nmh, etc) I think most people expect things to install
> this way, and just show up in their $PATH (which, presumably, already
> has /usr/local/bin in place).

I don't like clutter in the /usr/local namespace.

If nmh is installed in the main system, we might see /etc/nmh,
/usr/bin/mh, and /usr/lib/mh, and it should be similar in /usr/local.

However, /opt is not organized like /usr/local, so setting prefix to
/opt might be an interesting alternative.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/