Re: [Nmh-workers] --prefix=/usr/local issues

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] --prefix=/usr/local issues
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 19:41:06 -0700

On 2013-03-21, at 8:27 AM, Paul Fox wrote:

> with a big, multi-directory install like nmh, i vastly prefer that if
> i do a local build and install that the results are self-contained:

But this is a very developer-centric view of things.  Most people building from
source just want the software to install itself into their default path, with
no extra fuss being required.  We don't have command names that conflict with
anything else in common use, so /usr/local/bin is safe from spam, and
/usr/local/{etc,libexec}/nmh are ours for the taking.

For a simple mainstream package like nmh is, you can't convince me that .5K
long windows-style $PATHs are something we have any business advocating.
That's where /opt hell leads to.

--lyndon